Our History

St. Catherine's school has been a part of North Denver's Sunnyside neighborhood for almost 100 years.  At the request of Monsignor John R. Mulroy, pastor of the newly formed St. Catherine’s Parish and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Catherine’s School was opened on September 6, 1921.

One hundred thirty students were enrolled in grades one through six in the church basement. Using funds raised from the Parish Festivals, the gymnasium, convent, and finally the new school building were built. The school was blessed and dedicated on May 26, 1929.

Due to demands of increasing enrollment, the building was enlarged in 1949. Enrollment reached an all-time high in 1957, with 565 students in grades 1 through 8. Our kindergarten first opened in 1977 and a preschool was established in the fall of 2005.

Share by: